TurboSquid Talks at Siggraph

by Michele Bousquet

It’s no secret that TurboSquid has been developing 3D modeling standards for the entire industry to use. Next, we’re taking our standards on the road and inviting discussion and development from 3D users worldwide.

TurboSquid has been accepted by Siggraph 2011 to give a Studio Talk on 3D Modeling Standards: A Case Study from Stock 3D. The date and time are TBD, but the Talk will be held in The Studio space sometime during the conference, August 7-11 in Vancouver, Canada.

Siggraph, the largest annual computer graphics conference in North America, draws artists and professionals from all corners of the globe, and we hope to meet and talk with as many of you as possible. Maybe we’ll see you there!

Tags:

8 Responses to “TurboSquid Talks at Siggraph”

1. As a 3D artist who has been in the industry for over 12 years, I welcome this sort of development towards standardization. I have seen 3D modeling grow from its infancy to where it is today. I Started on an Amiga with Light Wave, back in the days when there where very few options. UV mapping wasn’t possible in the beginning, I moved to Maya and worked with NURBS, again no UV to speak of. I watched the industry grow and I joined in with the trends. I feel fortunate to have been able to slowly develop as the industry did, but I feel for the younger artist who now want to learn, there is a lot to cover and a lot to know right from the beginning. Setting standards is a great way to direct those who are learning. Like any other trade there are good ways to build and poor ways to build, hopefully those looking for reassurance, both consumers and builders can have less doubt.

2. Michele Bousquet says:

Greetings, fellow ex-Amiga user! Yes, it’s been quite the journey from the boxes and cylinders we worked with back in the day to the amazingly detailed and textured models we see now. I’m glad you appreciate the journey, and what we’re hoping to achieve–a better experience for all 3D modelers and users. We plan to develop more educational materials to help make it a smooth ride for new users, as well as for experienced users who want to freshen up their skills.

3. Kerem says:

Another ex-Amiga user here. But I was into more on terrain generators such as Vista Pro than the modeling/animation tools like Imagine and Sculpt 3D. That inspired to create landscapes with Bryce and Vue. With that background I decided to move into 3D modeling. Started to learn Maya 6 when it’s first out.

I’m happy still there are tons of things to learn because it keeps my mind fresh and taking my art to one step beyond every time. Having a store on Turbosquid lets me to focus on quality modeling first. Which is crucial for success on 3D. It is easy to hide mistakes with post-work on a render output, but modeling for production quality is something different, and something great to have a nearly perfect model in every angle :)

So I’m hoping that you’ve record that Siggraph talk for the people who are not able to visit at the moment.

Thanks in advance for everything :)

4. Afshin Yazdgardian says:

I am currently a student at BCIT and would love to attend the conference, but the location and time aren’t specified. I went to the website link posted above yet I only found the dates and times, but unfortunately no location/address. Can someone please post the location?

5. Shravan Masand says:

I truly believe there should be a standardization in 3d modelling, as lot of people are involved to deal with the models & it also gets easier for animators, texture artist etc.. to work on the 3d models, if the models are made accordingly ie the polygons set in easier & right form depending on the detail of the model.

6. Imagetek3D says:

From the image above, I see that the first one is created in it’s original program, the other one with the inconsistant lines, looks to have been exported. I have this problem when I create a model in Rhino and export it to 3ds. The model still looks the same in max when it is rendered though. Not sure on what to do to get the Poly’s to correct themselves when exporting.

7. Michele Bousquet says:

The conference is at the Vancouver Convention Center in Vancouver, BC, Canada, August 7-11, 2011. http://www.siggraph.org/s2011/

8. Michele Bousquet says:

@Imagetek3D: I assume you mean the 3DS format, not 3ds Max (MAX) format? Going from Rhino to 3DS format means converting from a NURBS/IGES format to Polygonal, and further still, to a forced all-triangles format with 3DS. That workflow is never going to be tidy! Try exporting to OBJ or FBX, you might be able to get quads with that. And yes, the model renders fine in 3ds Max no matter what, but having all triangles is messy if you have to edit the model in 3ds Max.

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Site Map © 2013 TurboSquid