Recently, we’ve had a lot of queries about how to generate files in STL format. STL is a cross-platform file format often used for machining and 3D printing, or for importing into CAD programs like SolidWorks. We’re happy to report that both 3ds Max and Maya export STL files reliably.
From 3ds Max:
Before exporting, you can use the STL Check modifier to find out if your model has any holes or gaps. STL files work best when there are no holes.
- Select the objects you want to export to STL.
- Click the Application button and choose the Export option. A dialog appears.
- For Save as Type, choose the Stereolitho (*.STL) format. Enter a filename and click Save.
- On the dialog that appears, choose the Binary option.
- Check Selected Only, and click OK to export the file.
- Select the objects you wish to export.
- Save the file under a new name.
- Click the STL shortcut on your Shelf Toolbar, and select the file you just saved. When asked if you want to replace the file, click Yes.